For this Q&A article, we caught up with Andy Gunawan who is the first-ever winner of our internal award for employees – known as the Nintex Impact Award. Andy is an invaluable asset to the company – supporting Nintex customers, partners, and team members throughout Asia.
Andy recently celebrated his eighth anniversary at Nintex. We asked him 25 questions and shared his responses below.
- What is your role at Nintex?
I’m the regional sales director for Asia.
- Tell us a little bit about how you ended up at Nintex?
I started exactly 8 years ago working predominantly on the channel side of the business – co-selling alongside partners. In the beginning, I was the solo sales and partner manager in Asia. Now we have an entire team who are dedicated to the region.
- What has been your favorite project of your career?
My favorite project at Nintex was implementing a solution for our customer, National Gallery Singapore because we utilized the full suite of products and capabilities available on the Nintex Process Platform.
- What does an ideal day off of work look like for you?
No laptop and no mobile phone. That’s ideal, but we don’t always have that luxury when we work for a global company in the tech industry – working with many different countries and time zones. 😊
- Where is home for you?
I was born in Jakarta. I studied and lived in Melbourne. Now I live in Singapore. All three cities feel like home to me.
- What is the best part about where you live right now?
Singapore is a very simple, clean, and safe city to live in. That’s what I love about it.
- What is your favorite food?
Indonesian food and matcha ice cream are my favorites. Padang cuisine is my favorite style of Indonesian food. It consists of small, stackable dishes with different varieties of curry, meat, vegetables, coconut milk, and rice.
- Would you rather live on the beach or in a cabin in the woods?
I will always choose the beach.
- What would you choose as a superpower and why?
I would like to be Superman so I don’t have to go through customs and immigration when I travel.
- What is your favorite book?
The One Thing by Gary W. Keller. It’s all about prioritizing and focusing on one thing at a time.
- Do you like working from home or would you rather be in the office?
I like 50-50, so can I have both?
- What do you like most about your job?
The opportunity to interact with people from various countries, roles, and cultures.
- What would you like to tell your 20-year-old self?
Please learn to speak Chinese and Japanese.
- What are tips for dealing with overwhelm?
Make a list of todos and rank each item by priority.
- What kind of music do you gravitate to?
I like soul and jazz music. I enjoy playing the bass guitar.
- What was the last concert you went to?
I went to the Java Jazz Festival Jakarta 2020 just before the pandemic. It’s one of the biggest jazz festivals in the world with guest appearances from Stevie Wonder, H.E.R., David Foster, Toto, and more.
- If given a chance who would you like to be for a day?
I would choose to be Alex Ferguson, the ex-manager of Manchester United.
- Would you rather be able to fly or know any language on earth?
I would rather be able to speak every language. It would make my job a lot easier.
- How do you define a good work-life balance?
When you get a healthy amount of sleep each night, and you can do something you love on the weekends.
- Do you have any advice for a prospective Nintex employee?
Be part of a winning team. We are a bunch of fun people, and we work really hard at the same time.
- What’s the best vacation you’ve taken and why?
As the Nintex Impact Award winner, you get to visit another Nintex office anywhere in the world. I chose the UK office because I had never been to Europe before. While I was visiting, I went to the Manchester United stadium, Old Trafford. It was a great first trip and one of the best vacations I’ve ever been on.
- Do you have a favorite sport?
I enjoy golf, badminton, volleyball, and chess. Lately, I’ve been playing lots of tennis.
- What are you looking forward to?
Looking forward to traveling like normal again.
- What’s your favorite outdoor activity?
- Would you rather go to the movie theater or stay in and watch Netflix?
A movie, so I can focus on one thing.