When traveling, a detailed itinerary ensures that all the bases are covered. Flights, lodging, reservations, and activities are all accounted for and planned out. Besides keeping a traveler organized, an itinerary also serves an even more important purpose: safety. Personal medical emergencies can happen anywhere. An itinerary provides all the information necessary to find an employee in the event of an emergency.
For companies like KBR with approximately 29,000 employees working worldwide with customers in more than 80 countries and operations in 40 countries, having an efficient process for collecting itineraries is critical to the safety of its employees.
Looking within for a solution
The company’s existing paper-based system for recording and approving travel requests couldn’t optimize safety and insights into employee travel. Employees were required to complete paper forms that recorded their itineraries before embarking on trips – however only ~70% of travelers completed their forms, which were then filed but not of much continuing use.
As risks rose around the world, KBR needed a better solution. When considering workflow and automation tools, the company found that using its existing Nintex Workflow Cloud software would be the best solution. Nintex was already widely used at KBR for a variety of processes including managing the routing and approval of engineering documents, supporting procurement, facilitating bids in response to RFPs, and more.
KBR leveraged Nintex Workflow Cloud to build its new Travel Management Plan. The solution starts with a single Nintex Form:
- Employees submit single itinerary details which can include multiple destinations.
- Nintex Workflow checks the destinations against a continually updated database of global locations characterized by their risk level.
- If a location is a high-risk, an approval workflow is triggered for manager approval.
- Once managers approve a high-risk itinerary, the Travel Management Plan workflow provides the traveler with a personalized Safety, Health and Security Plan that includes emergency contact information in the various destinations, emergency medical information, and other country-specific details.
- The Travel Management Plan also ensures that travelers have the correct equipment and training to safely complete their job tasks.
Ready and prepared for anything
As a result of the Nintex Workflow Cloud solution, 99% of KBR’s Technology BU travelers now submit travel requests and participate in the process through the Travel Management Plan, up from 70% who used the former, paper-based system. Additionally, 90% of travelers are now complying with the requirement to book their trips through KBR’s approved agency, a significant increase from before.
“The beauty of our Nintex-based Travel Management Plan is that it delivers a 100% customized plan that employees will read and use because it pertains to their specific risks.”
– Keith Kluger, Health, Safety, Security, and Environmental Director, KBR
Thanks to the success of the solution, KBR was recognized as the America’s Regional Transformation Leader in the 2021 Nintex Solution Innovation Awards.
Read the case study to learn more about how KBR is supporting its business and protecting its employees with the Nintex Process Platform.